In case you missed it, half of America is experiencing a Polar Vortex. Omaha cancelled school for wind chills of -25, Minnesota had wind chills at -54, and even Florida is experiencing low 30 degree temps. Denver is not safe from the cold, while we’re not getting -50 degree weather; we’re definitely getting our fair share of snow, cold air and dreary skies. So what’s a girl to do when it's 28 degrees outside and snowing? I've got some ideas, here are 9 ways to beat the winter blues.
- Plan a vacation. What’s better than looking up pictures of white beaches, blue oceans and salty margaritas? I’m so excited that we’re currently planning our honeymoon. It makes these bitter cold days better when I know I’ll be enjoying the sunshine soon. More on that to come!
- Start a new TV series. Adam and I just started watching Sons of Anarchy (I know, could we be later to the game?). It is so good, and don’t even get me started on Jax Teller. I highly suggest House of Cards, Game of Thrones, Scandal, Breaking Bad, Friends (ON NETFLIX PEOPLE), The Wire or Homeland. Grab a cozy blanket, head to the couch and settle in for a long Netflix marathon. PS. New House of Cards starts February 27 and Game of Thrones starts April 12!
- Prepare a meal, bake a cake, do anything that requires you to turn your oven on to 350 degrees. I promise, once you get moving, the snow outside will be the last thing on your mind, instead it will be focused on the chocolate cake (or my paleo chocolate chip cookies) you have baking.
- Get a spray tan, grab a new bikini (they’re always on sale in the winter) and make yourself a Pina Coloda.What’s the Corona motto? Find your own beach? I use Rodan and Fields spray tanner and it’s the best.
- Read some new books. I love getting lost in a good novel. Robe, slippers, a glass of red wine and a good book? Count me in; I’ll see ya when the snow melts! If you want some good book ideas, come on back when I debut all the books I currently have sitting on my nightstand (and really need to read!)
- Learn something. I don’t really care what you learn, but get a new hobby. Learn Spanish (on my list), learn how to knit, do pottery, take a photog class. Take advantage of not being outside and do something inside!
- Embrace the snow! Head to the mountains (I highly suggest Breckenridge, Vail or Keystone)! Grab your skis, grab your friends and a warm jacket and hit the slopes. I promise it will make the cold weather so much better as you zip down the mountains.
- Stop drinking pumpkin spice lattes. I’m sorry ladies, but time is up. It’s no longer fall and lattes are no longer cool. It’s time to embrace other hot beverages. May I suggest fireball & hot chocolate? It’s delicious and the whiskey will warm ya right up!
- Online shop. This one is tough for me as I’m currently saving up for a honeymoon (see #1), but what’s better than scouring the internet for scarves, boots and jackets only to have them arrive on your doorstep 5 days later? This one combines my two passions, sitting on the couch and shopping.
Stay warm out there people. It looks like it’s going to be a longer winter!