Politics is usually not my blog thing. Heck, I commented on one thing on Facebook regarding politics and my blood pressure still hasn't gone down. However, I find my 2016 list has more politicos on it than I'd like to admit. The politicos are not based on policies just on their ability to be fascinating.
Ya know what else? Someone in the Kardashian/Jenner clan has been on every fascinating list I've ever written. And not even Khloe, the good one. That pretty much goes against everything I believe in, but what can I say, they are the definition of fascinating.
Let me preface this list with this: These people are fascinating, some for the right reasons, some for the wrong reasons and some just because I think they are funny. I fully understand that there are more deserving people, but this list is done in jest, please take it that way.
Time Magazine did a most influential people list and those people are the most influential, worthy of praise. This list is fascinating. Who do you think is most fascinating?
Let's take a quick look back at 2014 (10-6) (5-1) and 2015 (10-6) (5-1). Whew.
The last few years were crazy, but I think 2016 just might top it. Grab your glass of wine and hold on tight, let's do this.
10. Meghan Markle. The girl who broke Prince Harry. She's an actress, humanitarian, clothing designer and on top of it all, drop dead gorgeous. She's been acting since she was a little girl, you may know her from Suits or General Hospital or the 29 other shows she's been in. In 2016, she became the Global Ambassador for World Vision Canada, worked with the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and worked for the Empowerment of Women as an advocate. Apparently now, Queen Elizabeth approves of her relationship with Harry. 2016 was pretty fascinating for Meghan and it looks like 2017 is only going to get better.
9. Dream Kardashian et all. This poor girl and her poor family. Yes, she's a Kardashian, but she's also the center of some very fascinating drama between her mom and dad. Remember up above how I said I love snapchat fights. Well in case you missed it, last weekend Blac Chyna left her house she shared with Rob Kardashian and took Dream and all the stuff in her room. Rob then went on Snapchat to show us all what went down. But, now they're back together. Oh, and Blac is trying to trademark the Kardashian name. They have only been together about a year, but it is surely the most fascinating celebrity relationship I've ever seen. And at the middle of it all, a Dream.
7. Pokémon. A free-to-play, location based video game. This game created quite a stir; people were walking in to traffic, violating peoples privacy by walking into their yards and getting hurt. Pokémon originally came out in 1990 when the Game Boy was released and has been a phenomenon every since. I have to be totally honest, I legit have no idea what a Pokemon is or even the concept behind the entire thing. But, it is clear, people love it. as of December 7th, it was reported that since Pokémon GO’s release, players have walked over 8.7 billion kilometers in total, which is equal to over 200,000 trips around the earth. During all that walking, they were able to catch a massive total of 88 billion Pokémon, which Niantic says equates to capturing roughly 533 million Pocket Monsters each day. I'm not sure what all that Pocket Monster business is, but Niantic, the creator, has had quite a fascinating year.
6. Priyanka Chopra. This one might be new for some of you, but I highly recommend looking her up. If not, she'll be a household name before you have the chance. She is currently the star of Quanitco, one of ABC's number one dramas. But before that she was the queen of Bollywood. She has made over 50 movies and is beautiful, talented and a hard-worker. Yes, she was always a star in Bollywood, but now she is crushing it in the states. She'll be the next number 1 Hollywood actress before she knows it. Life has always been pretty great for Priyanka, but I think 2016 was her most fascinating.
5. Lebron James. Where do we start with Lebron? Let's pick the less obvious route. Lebron James started a foundation in order to positively affect the lives of children in Ohio through education and curricular educational activities. He is doing huge things in his community, a lesson other athletes could learn from. His foundation is incredible and is enough to make Lebron fascinating. Now to the less obvious. Lebron brought a championship to Cleveland for the first time since 1964. Life in Cleveland just got way more interesting.
4. Simone Biles. 19 years old. 4 feet 9 inches tall. 10x Gold Medalist. 2016 Olympics individual all-around champ and vault champion. 3-time world all-around champion, 3-time world floor champion, 2-time world balance beam champion, 4-time United States national all-around champion and a member of the gold medal-winning American teams at the 2014 and 2015 World Artistic Gymnastics Championships and the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro. Do I really need to give any more stats as to why this girl rocks. In 2016, she became the most decorated gymnast in US History. This girl is a bad-ass and only continues to be more fascinating as time goes on. I have a feeling she could be on the list for years and years to come.
3. Lin-Manuel Miranda and the entire cast of Hamilton. I for one did not really grasp how cool this play would be until I listened to the soundtrack (thanks Bryn!). Now, I'm obsessed and trying to figure out how I can come up with $10,000 to see the play on Broadway. The musical made its debut off Broadway in February, 2015 and by August, 2015 was transferred to Broadway. Miranda wrote the book, music and lyrics for Hamilton and then played the role of Hamilton until his departure in July, 2016. Did you know people actually paid $10,000 to get tickets to see him? This musical has received 16 Tony noms, winning 11, including best musical, won a Grammy in 2016 and in 2016 a Pulitzer Prize for drama. There has even been a 60% increase in babies being named Hamilton in the last year. Oh, and Miranda will make over 6.4 million this year just made on his various roles in the production of Hamilton. This musical has swept the country over the last two years and it's safe to say 2016 was pretty fascinating for Miranda and the entire cast.
2. Hillary Clinton. No Hillary is not 2 because she is a woman or a democrat. Do not even start with that. She is number 2 because she did not win. We done? Hillary Clinton is fascinating to me for multiple reasons. First, the obvious, first woman to run for President and be the Democratic Nominee. Go girls. Second, she battled Donald, which even though she lost is pretty damn fascinating. Did you know she used to be a republican, cue the gasps, yep. she campaigned for Barry Goldwater in 1964, was the 3rd female secretary of state in US history and hasn't driven a car since 1996? She fights hard for what she thinks is right and regardless of your stance on her politics, I think it's obvious that Hills year was pretty damn fascinating.
1. Trump. Regardless of your view on Trump, you have to admit, this human is pretty damn fascinating. Multi-millionaire reality TV star, father of five, gone President? That's crazy enough for number one on this list and on pretty much every other list out there. He's insulted everyone from here to the moon, challenged every stereotype and fallen into many. He's loud, brash, aggressive, hardworking, successful and our President-Elect. He announced he was running for President on June 16, 2015 and from there things have only gotten more fascinating (and kinda weird) for this man. The next four years are going to be pretty fascinating. Hold on tight everyone, it could be a bumpy ride.
Well, there ya have it. Some crazy shit went down this year and it's only appropriate to commemorate them with the most fascinating list. Who would you put on your list?
Here are some nominations that didn't quite cut it but I'd hate to leave them off:
- Angelina and Brad Pitt and the divorce of the year.
- Great Britain and Brexit
- Michael Phelps
- Everyone who participated in the mannequin challenge
- Bernie Sanders
Only three days till 2017 and then we start building the list for next year!