- 3 pounds chicken breasts (I used two costco packs, and used 3 breasts)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 tablespoon cayenne
- 1 large onion, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 jalapeño peppers, diced (leave out the seeds if you don't want it hot)
- 1 serrano pepper, diced
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 28oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- juice of 2 limes
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped (Coti, don't use this!)
- avocado for garnish
- Cook your chicken. I put the three breasts in a sauté pan covered with water and cooked for 25 minutes on medium heat. But you can cook it however you want, I just think this is a good way to get it nice and tender.
- Shred the chicken. I use two forks.
- Season the chicken with the cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, cayenne powder. If you want this less spicy, cut out either the chili powder or the cayenne.
- Set the chicken aside.
- In a large dutch oven over medium heat, melt the 2 tablespoons of coconut oil.
- When hot, add the onions. Let the onions cook for about 4-6 minutes.
- Add the garlic and the peppers, cook for about 2-3 minutes.
- Pour in the chicken stock and fire roasted tomatoes and bring to a boil.
- OPTIONAL STEP: If you want a thicker soup, take out half of the pepper/tomato/onion mix and blend it in a food processor or blender. Add it back.
- Add the chicken, cilantro and lime juice to the boiling mixture.
- Serve nice and hot with some avocado on top!
The onion/tomato/pepper mixture. Mix it good.
The seasoned, shredded chicken.
The finished product! Enjoy!