While it was part of my 2016 resolutions to start the year with a refresh - cue the lemon water and 30 days of strict paleo, I pretty sure the lemon water will be one of those things that sticks around past January 31.
Did you know that besides just being super refreshing and a cure for a lack of wine, lemon water actually has some amazing benefits for you?
It's become my new morning ritual and I can honestly say I feel better. I feel less groggy. I was used to having stomach aches and now they're gone! Besides the fact that lemons have a ton of potassium, there are all kinds of additional benefits to warm lemon water.
- Reduces inflammation: I love this. Even though I'm 5 months out of knee surgery, I still have some inflammation and this helps! Lets have healthy joints too people.
- Aids digestion: Lets get all those toxins flowing through and out of our body.
- Helps you lose weight: This is just icing on the cake to all the other benefits.
- Relieves indigestion or can ease an upset stomach: Bubbly tums got you? Have a glass of warm lemon water and I promise you'll be feeling better in no time.
- Relieve heartburn: I think we can all agree heartburn is the worst.
- Helps get rid of your coffee addiction: Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my coffee. But I drink my warm lemon water before my coffee and I don't crave it nearly as much.
- Increases your vitamin C intake: People, it's flu and cold season - get that Vitamin C. Lemon water can battle the common cold. Knock on wood, I haven't been sick one, not even a little since the start of 2016.
- Clear skin: Clean skin, less wrinkles, reduces scaring. As we get older, I'm all about for something that helps build collagen in my skin and gets rid of all those laugh lines.
- Reduce high blood pressure
- Freshens your breath: Yes, please! And reduces the chances of tooth pain and gingivitis.
- Lots of nutrients: Citric acid, potassium, calcium, phosphorus and magnesium.
Side-note: Lemons are highly acidic and can ruin the enamel on your teeth. Make sure you dilute it a little bit - aka adding water.
What's your morning ritual like? Think you'll give lemon water a try?