On a scale of 1-I'd made this again, I'd say 7.
Would I consider this a paleo-fail? Not quite. Paleo-success? Meh.
Hey, this blog is the good, bad, ugly, delicious and all the in between. This casserole isn't the best thing Ive made, but it's not the worst. It's the in-between.
Ya know what this casserole would be good for? People who love chicharrones. You'll see why soon enough.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breasts
- 4 cups water
- 1 pound breakfast sausage
- 2 pounds cooked hatch Chile peppers
- 1 1/2 cups salsa Verde
- 1 can organic full-fat coconut milk
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- 2 cups friend pork skins -- chicharrones
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- Melt the coconut oil. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Cook for 3 minutes on each side. Cover with water and simmer for 15-20 minutes. When cooked, drain chicken and shred.
- Brown the sausage. Set aside.
- Roast, clean and chop the Hatch chilies into 1 inch pieces. Add the shredded chicken and sausage to the bowl and stir together. Pour the mixture into a casserole dish.
- Combine the salsa, coconut milk, salt, lime juice, cumin, chili powder and arrowroot in a bowl. Whisk until smooth. Pour over filling in casserole dish.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
- Crush the pork rinds into a rough powder. Chop cilantro. Stir together.
- When casserole is finished, sprinkle the topping.
broil these bad boys and keep turning them until they're blackened.
cooking is better with wine, plus its my nickname.
this is just a picture of the sauce, but I thought it was pretty.
The finished product. Enjoy!